Unit 11 Sad movies make me cry. Section B
Besides, winning or losing is only half the game. 除此之外，...
- Besides, winning or losing is only half the game. 除此之外，输赢只是比赛的一半。
besides / except辨析
☞ Lucy went to the cinema besides Lily.（Lily也去了）
☞ All the students went to the park except Jim. (Jim没去)
|beside prep. ＂在……旁边＂。
☞ They are used to taking a walk on the path beside the the river.
We all went to see the film ____________ Tom. What a pity it is for him to miss it!
- besides B. except C. beside D. except for
- He felt a heavy weight on his shoulders as he walked home alone. 当他独自走回家的时候，感到肩上有沉重的负担。
（1）weigh v. 称……的重量；衡量
weight n. 重量
lose weight 减肥 gain/ put on weight 增肥
☞ At birth, most babies weigh between 6 and 8 pounds. 大多数婴儿出生时的体重在6磅到8磅之间。
☞ Many of us gain weight because of inactivity during the winter. 我们许多人因为在冬季不活动而体重增加。
（2）shoulder n. 肩；肩膀
on one’s shoulder 在某人的双肩上
shoulder to shoulder 肩并肩地；同心协力地
☞ They could fight shoulder-to-shoulder against a common enemy. 他们可以同心协力，对抗共同的敌人。
（2014﹒浙江丽水中考）—Does Mary only have an apple for breakfast?
—Yes. She eats like a bird ____________.
- to wake up B. to be strong C. to lose weight D. to fall asleep
- He had let his whole team down. 他让整个团队失望了。
let sb down 不能帮助；不能支持(某人)；使失望；放下；降低
let sb down =make sb frustrated 使……失望或沮丧
☞ He let his wife down when he failed to obtain promotion. 他没有得到提升，令他妻子失望。
go down下降，降低，被载入，传下去 take down记下，写下
write down写下，记下 put down记下，放下，镇压，平定
turn down (把音量)调低 walk down... 沿着……走
look down upon 看不起 up and down上上下下
Jim works hard at his lessons. He doesn’t want to ____________.
- let down his parents B. let down us C. let his parents sad D. let his parents up
- But whatever it was, don’t be too hard on yourself. 但是无论是什么事，都不要对自己太苛刻。
（1）whatever =no matter what 无论什么
whoever = no matter who 无论谁
wherever = no matter wherever 无论哪里
☞ Whatever you do, do your best. 无论你干什么，都要尽最大努力去干。
=No matter what you do, do your best.
☞ Whoever telephones, tell him I am out. 无论谁给我打电话，就说我出去了。
= No matter who telephones, tell him I am out.
☞ Wherever he may be, he will be happy. 无论在什么地方，他都是乐呵呵的。
= No matter where he may be, he will be happy.
（2）be hard on sb ＂对……很严厉；要求很苛刻；苛待（为难）某人＂。
☞ Some teachers today are too hard on their students. 如今一些老师对学生的要求过于严厉。
- ____________ you say, I won’t allow you to go there.
- Whenever B. However C. Whatever D. Wherever
- Don’t be too ____________ on him—he’s very young.
- easy B. harmful
- hard D. busy
- The next day, Peter went to soccer practice with courage rather than fear in his heart. 第二天，皮特并没有害怕，而是勇敢地去参加足球训练。
（1）courage n. 勇气；勇敢
courageous adj. 勇敢的；有勇气的
lose courage 灰心丧气
take courage 鼓起勇气
rather than 用法小结：
①rather than与would连用时，构成＂would rather...than...＂句式，意思是＂宁愿……而不愿……＂，表示主观愿望，即在两者之中选择其一。
☞ She’d rather die than lose the children. 她宁愿死也不愿失去孩子们。
☞ The most valuable thing is time, rather than money. 最珍贵的是时间, 而不是金钱。
He would rather ____________ for himself than ____________ for a meal.
- cook；going out B. to cook；go out
- cook；go out D. cooking；going out
【解析】句意：他宁愿自己做饭也不愿出去吃。would rather do sth than do sth意为＂宁愿……而不愿……＂，would rather后接动词原形，than后也接动词原形，故选C。
- He felt like there was a heavy weight on his shoulders as he walked home alone.
☞ I saw there was a box on the table as I went into the room 当我走进房间的时候，我看见桌子上有一个盒子。
- Ten minutes later, Peter heard his father knocking on his bedroom door.
本句使用了hear sb.doing sth.结构，意思是＂听见某人做某事＂。
☞ I hear a little girl singing in the next room. 我听见一个小女孩在隔壁房间唱歌。
- The other half is learning how to communicate with your teammates and learning from your mistakes.
communicate with的意思是＂同……交流＂；learn from的意思是＂向……学习＂。
☞ We should communicate with each other and learn from each other. 我们应该相互交流，相互学习。
- Peter didn’t say anything, but what his father said made him think carefully.
what his father said在句中作主语。
☞ What he said at the meeting was right. 他在会上所说的是正确的。
- It made him feel lucky to know that he was on a winning team.
feel lucky to do sth.表示＂做某事感觉幸运＂。
☞ I feel lucky to pass the test. 通过了考试我感到很幸运。
☞ David likes playing basketball. He is on the school basketball team. 大卫喜欢打篮球。他在学校的篮球队。